120 kilometers southwest of Casablanca, Khouribga is the largest OCP phosphate production zone. The mining site has three extraction areas. The deposit is sedimentary, and reserves are estimated at more than 25 billion cubic meters. Mining first began there in 1921 by the underground method, and exploratory operations began in 1951. It currently covers seven phosphate levels. The production capacity is 19 million tons per year.
- In the Sidi Chennane sector, registered tonnage reached a record high level (8.12 million tons, +18 percent compared to the previous 2007 record). The capacity of this mine will be increased after the construction of a new stone removal screening unit, as the T2 hopper is able to handle an annual tonnage of 7 million tons.
- The pipeline project is moving ahead according to plan.
- The new Mrah Lahrach (MEA) washing plant was commissioned within the framework of OCP’s industrial development program, and production of average-grade phosphate set a record at 2.4 million tons, which enabled a first-time shipment to Jorf Lasfar of a phosphate richer than any in 2010. Deposit mining has also re-opened in South Khouribga.
The Khouribga wastewater treatment service equipped with a cogeneration system has been commissioned.
70 kilometers north of Marrakech, this open-pit mine was designed to enable gradual growth in production capacity. The current phase aims to increase extraction from 3.10 to 4.5 million tons per year by 2018. After extraction, the Benguerir production is brought by trucks and trains to the Safi chemical factories and the Youssoufia processing plants. The share of production intended for exportation is dispatched through the ports of Safi, Casablanca, Jorf Lasfar and Laâyoune.
The Gantour mining basin includes the mining sites of Benguerir and Youssoufia.
Situated 60 kilometers from Benguerir and 100 kilometers northwest of Marrakech, mining operations began in 1931 in the northwest part of the site and gave rise to the Youssoufia phosphate center. Its reserves are approximately 10.2 billion cubic meters. The Youssoufia phosphate deposit is comprised of two kinds of ore. It is a clear phosphate, containing small amounts of organic matter and black phosphate, which is rich in organic matter. The phosphate is treated and transported by train to the fertilizer and phosphoric acid manufacturing plants in Safi. The share of the production intended for export is shipped through the ports of Safi, Jorf Lasfar and Casablanca. Since 1998, OCP has also operated the Bouchane mine (Station 6), located 40 kilometers from the Youssoufia site.
Operated by Phosboucraâ, a 100 percent subsidiary of OCP, the phosphate deposits of Oued Eddahab are situated in the southern provinces, 100 kilometers southwest of the town of Laâyoune and 1.200 kilometers from Casablanca. Only the Boucraâ deposit is currently being mined in view of its reserves and their content which consists of sedimentary with two layers of phosphate. At the moment, only the first is being mined. The production capacity is approximately two million tons per year.
Development began at the Safi complex, OCP’s first chemical site, in 1965 to make effective use of the Gantour phosphates. Consisting of three units : Maroc Chimie, Maroc Phosphore I and Maroc Phosphore II. In legal terms, Morocco Chemistry has been an integral part of Maroc Phosphore since 1996. The facility can annually produce 400,000 P205 tons of phosphoric acid and 250,000 tons of NPK, both for the local market. Maroc Phosphore I and Maroc Phosphore II have annual capacities of 1.1 million tons of phosphoric acid (630,000 tons for the first unit and 470,000 for the second) and 400,000 tons of MAP fertilizer, respectively.
Part of the production is converted locally into DAP and MAP fertilizers, and eventually NPK and TSP as well as purified phosphoric acid. The other part is exported as merchant grade phosphoric acid through local port facilities. The Jorf Lasfar complex has three entities from which the Maroc Phosphore III unit was created in 1986. With the construction of the Emaphos plant in 1997, in partnership with Prayon (Belgium) and CFB (Germany), OCP ushered in a new era in the diversification of our finished products through the production of a high value-added acid: purified phosphoric acid. Two years later, the commissioning of Imacid, in partnership with the Indian Birla Group, enabled us to increase our phosphoric acid production capacity by 25 percent at the Jorf Lasfar site.
OCP has over 150 clients on five continents. To better serve our customers, we are expanding our worldwide commercial presence.
As a key to sustainable leadership, OCP Group meets environmental challenges at all levels of business